Monday, October 14, 2013

Kuni Takanami from liquidsaltmag.com

I just found this on liquidsaltmag.com.. check it out-


Kuni Takanami

by MAC FELLER on MAY 7, 2013 · 0 COMMENTS
Kuni Takanami is a talented surfer/photographer born in Japan and now residing in Australia, Sought after by numerous surf magazines and sportswear companies, Kuni travels the world looking for interesting people and places to capture the light through his unique lens. We spoke with him to learn more.
Where did you grow up, and what was it like?
I grew up in Itabashi-ku, Tokyo, where two capital freeways join together (Shutoko and Kanjosen). They say the pollution in the air there is one of the dirtiest areas in Japan. I used to skate at empty lots, parks and streets. I’d also hang out at friends houses playing TV games or we’d cruise around on stolen motorbikes.
When did you start surfing?
I think it was the day after my junior high school graduation ceremony. I was skating a lot then, but one of my seniors was a surfer and he was really popular among the girls. So I thought I would be like that too if I started surfing – turns out I didn’t get that popular!
What drew you to surfing?
I first went to Shonan – the closest beach to Tokyo — by train with a few friends. We were all beginners, so we had no idea what we were doing. I tried to copy the good surfers but I couldn’t do anything with my board.
Surfing made me understand true raw skills, or lack of, that I had. I was just being washed around inside the waves, up and down, and getting in the way of the good surfers. I can’t really explain it but I think that’s when my pride got broken for the first time. I got so frustrated, and I thought to myself, I really want to be tougher. The idea of “becoming tough” became much bigger than the fun itself or even the girls.
In Tokyo, you can talk shit as much as you want to. Wear cool clothes, drive expensive cars… You can say “I am somebody. My friends are actors, I got mad cash, I can do anything!!” … you know? (laughs)
But you can’t do that with the ocean. If you don’t have real skills or awareness out there, the ocean can kill you just like that or even refuse you completely with her incredible power. I just really wanted to learn about the ocean and become a part of the surfers’ circle. I guess I wanted the recognition.
What has been the influence of surfing and how has it changed your life?
If I didn’t surf… I think I would have ended up doing bad stuff (like a pernicious moneylender) or maybe a boxer with the influence of my biological father (Royal Kobayashi was one time World Champion and 6th in the Olympics). Or maybe I would have died from a drug overdose.. I was into some pretty loose shit back in those days.
Who are some of the people you feel are shaping the path of surfing today?
I guess everyone would first think of Kelly Slater. His effort and talent is definitely something, and he played a massive role for today’s surf scene popularity and its economic effect. But I’m getting bored of today’s high-performance and high-technology surfboards and the associated business scene.
It’s much more amazing to have a surf icon like George Greenough still alive! He’s had such an influence on today’s short boards. And we can’t forget Duke Kahanamoku from Hawaii, who brought surfing into Australia. Their generation’s creativity, it’s real. They started from scratch, trying and failing pushed by their passion. Someone like George, he created not only those revolutionary fins, plan shapes and concepts, but also water housings and then proceeded to shoot films and take amazing photos! I have a lot of respect for his generation.
Also, as a Japanese, I respect Wakita-san who charges so hard on the Northshore’s monster waves. Today, there is “Wakita-peak” in Pipe. That means those tough Hawaiians and the whole world has recognized him as “the surfer.”
As everyone knows, the world is facing so many problems. Especially for those surfers who travelled the world to search for the good waves, they directly face and realize how serious these problems are. So, my hero is a surfer who is living the sustainable lifestyle and actually making actions to save the nature. I guess my true hero is my dear friend, like a brother, Dave Rastovich. He loves nature from his soul and he knows that the nature he loves has such a sensitive existence. He knows the ocean so well and he has the skill to become a part of the wave. Dave is not only an amazing surfer, but he’s the ideal and ultimate human being.
All these people I named have given me such colorful inspirations. I think it is a wonderful thing that through my photographs and my work with my wife Angie, we can pass on their legacies to the next generation.
Where did you interest in photography come from?
When I was 14, my uncle passed away and he left me an SLR. That’s when I first owned my own camera and I learned the ropes just by playing around with it. But I admit it was put away in my garage for a long time.
Then I went to my first overseas surf trip when I was 17. I felt that I want to spend more time away surfing good waves. Through travelling, I was able to experience the nature’s powerful beauty and her delicate creations, simple things like the waves wearing a shimmering light’s reflection. Things like that touched me. I guess I had never seen such beautiful scenes growing up in Tokyo’s concrete jungle under the foggy skies of pollution.
So next thing I knew, I had my camera in my hand. I wanted to capture the beauty so I could come back to it anytime, even if I have to return to the concrete jungle when my money ran out.
What do you look for in capturing a good image?
I think it depends on the shoot and circumstances. But I won’t tell you all my secrets as it would take too long and I can’t give free information away to my future rivals (laughs)
But seriously, there is a battlefield photographer called Mr. Miyajima, and in his interview on National TV channel in Japan, he said “It’s all about being in the right place at the right time”. I am on a different field, but I think I can say the same thing.
Right place and right time changes on the purpose of the shooting. Like fashion, landscapes, surf, war, etc. First of all, it’s important to know and find your own “right place & right time” for that specific purpose. To do that, you have to know about the wind, sun position, swell direction and the surfer’s next moves. And you move before they move. On every field, whatever it is, you have to have your camera ready to go so you don’t miss out on any special moments. That’s the most basic key for good photos.
Analog, digital, or both forms of photography? If both, when do you use each?
If I don’t have to worry about the time nor the budget, I would definitely choose analog to create my photography. But if there’s a limitation on time or budget, then digital is the go to.
Of all the places you have traveled to, what place in particular stands out? And why?
I would say India. Not a single day passed without accidents! (laughs) Something is always happening, and their irresponsibility was such a fun element of our trip. Reincarnation philosophy is still well alive in India and for the first time, I recognized death as a very natural thing.
When I was surfing in India, for the first time I thought even if I die right now I would be quite happy. Also, India still holds massive potentials for “unknown waves”. And of course the poverty there is a serious reality. India has taught me so many important things.
What are you most proud of?
I lost my pride a long time ago (laughs). I want to take great photos, I want to express other people’s pride inside my photos.
What are you most grateful for?
My parents, my wife Angie, and my friends.
What brings you the most happiness in the world?
Those moments when I see good waves. My boys Ryder and Hunter. When I am with my family looking at good waves I am on top of the world!
What’s your favorite meal?
Japanese food! Ramen!
1 of 1takiWhat are the positives of life in Japan? And, what are the positives of life in Australia?
Japan has the two totally different faces next to each other. The big city controlling the economy, and the countryside where the slow life and beautiful nature remains. That’s what I like about Japan. It’s handy having both. If you understand the seasons, you can always get good waves. Japanese food is healthy and complex. Everyone has pretty good hearts.
Australia is a massive continent with countless waves. The cities and towns are all alive with strong contrasting yet well balanced nature. There’s a variety of food and good beer! And I love the slow paced lifestyle of Aussies.
What’s next for Kuni Takanami?
I want to keep travelling with my family. Angie and I are still fit and strong, the kids are young and adventurous. It’s a good time for us to be moving around the world visiting developing and remote areas capturing their local lifestyles, their swells, and their realities. I want to capture the many different faces of the earth and share them with the world.
To learn more about Kuni Takanami, visit his website here.

No comments:

Post a Comment